Purchasing a pinpointer is necessary for every beginner and experienced treasure hunter, for a good reason – this is an investment that you must make after the initial purchase of a metal detector and shovel.
The metal detector is used for surface detection of an object in the ground, in turn, pinpointer is used for faster and more precise detection of an object after you dug a hole. It is recommended to get a pinpointer – a pointer with a metal detector since this device will have a huge impact on the search speed and increase its productivity, especially if you are a newbie.
Garrett 1140900 Pro-Pointer AT Waterproof Pinpointing Metal Detector
The Garrett Pro-Pointer AT is a versatile metal detector for detecting iron targets in different areas and for clearly defining them.
- Fully waterproof with the ability to dive up to 6 m
- Orange color improves visibility underwater
- Increased sensitivity to gold nuggets and other small targets
- Three levels of sensitivity settings
- The possibility of detuning from the background allows you to: reduce the search area to more accurately indicate the target, eliminate the effect of salinity and wet sand, estimate the size of the target, outline a large target, better understand the multiple targets
- Signal loss device: if the button is not pressed for more than 5 minutes, the pin pointer begins to give warning sounds for one hour
- Auto-off after one-hour warning signals
- Simple one-button operation: power on / off, reconfiguration, sensitivity adjustment, and silent mode
- Notch in inches and centimeters for measuring the depth of the target
- Wrist band
- New convenient control button design
- Patented sound and vibration alert technology with increasing intensity
- Patented reel scraper
- Battery life is twice as long as with other similar devices.
- Uniform sensitivity zone at the end and around the sensor
- LED backlight for searching in low light
- Belt holster and 9 V battery included
Makro Pointer Waterproof Metal Detector
Makro Pointer is a quality Turkish pinpointer, which has a waterproof case with immersion up to 1 meter. Economical consumption scheme allows for a long time to use pinpointer with a budget battery type “Krona” 9 Volts. Replaceable caps, in the form of protective tips, will protect the body from wear, unwanted scuffs or chips. Adjustable sensitivity allows customization for any treasure hunter needs. This waterproof pinpointer will quickly and accurately locate your find at a distance of up to 7 centimeters to a coin.
Makro Pointer with a hull (IP67), can be used both on land and underwater. The detection zone targets in 360 degrees, thanks to this you will not leave your find unnoticed. Using the maximum of this probably one of the best metal detector pinpointer performance is fairly easy, just adjust the sensitivity using the +/- buttons for maximum performance. The most important thing is that at maximum sensitivity (4th level) Makro Pointer works without false positives.
Makro Pointer has built-in protection against interference, when the pinpointer is turned off, the magnetic transmission of the coil is also turned off. This eliminates the possibility of interference from other metal detectors. A powerful Makro Pointer LED flashlight illuminates the search location at the darkest time of the day. Control buttons are located on top. There is an opinion that such an arrangement of buttons increases the overall reliability of the pinpointer.
- Hard carrying case;
- Replaceable cap;
- Replaceable cap with scraper;
- Belt holster;
- Instructions for the user;
- Warranty card (24 months).
MINELAB PRO-FIND 35
Pinpointer Minelab Pro-Find 35 has advanced and innovative features. This pinpointer should be bought for every experienced treasure hunter. To have such an accessory for the search, it is just necessary for those who have long loved our profitable hobby. According to statistics, this durable underwater pinpointer is one of the best metal detectors on the market and will undoubtedly become your indispensable instrument in the search (gold jewelry, rings, chains, royal coins, silver) and many other precious finds.
With the help of the Pro-Find series point indicator, you can accurately determine the find in a small hole in the ground, in the place where the main metal detector detected the expected signal of the find. Such a search method will lead to better productivity, more finds, and less environmental damage.
The Pro-Find 35 pinpointer model was released in 2017, during which time many treasure hunters confirmed the quality and productivity of pinpointer by many positive reviews and video reviews with testing.
- Ferrous Tone ID (Discrimination). Two different signals will help you determine which type of metal is in the soil (black or color). Perfectly suitable for use with a basic metal detector that does not have a discrimination regime.
- Immersibility up to 3 meters. Durable waterproof construction, ideal for searching on the beach, in the sea or in rivers. The best assistant for the underwater metal detector.
- Audio and Vibro. Sound and vibration signal increases proportionally when approaching the target, facilitating the search, especially under water!
- Adjustable sensitivity. Five levels of sensitivity allow you to fine-tune the maximum depth and minimum noise level in any soil conditions. Easy to set up using separate +/- buttons
- Loss mode. The alarm and the bright yellow case of the Minelab PRO-FIND 35 are very striking, so it’s hard for you to leave the device somewhere or lose it.
- Holster. Durable holster, which is attached to any belt, will help protect your Pro-Find 35 and always keep in readiness.
Also a useful feature (DIF), dramatically reduces interference from a working metal detector, when the metal detecting pinpointer is turned off, the coil of the indicator coil is turned off. Another advantage is the Handy Lost-Alarm technology. PRO-FIND series pointers have a useful instrument loss feature that sounds after a certain period of time when you left pinpointer on. This makes it easy to find your forgotten pinpoint, even in tall grass, so you will never get it lost! The PRO-FIND 35 Pinpointer Series is an integral part of your kit for a successful instrument search.
White’s TRX Bullseye Pin-Pointer
Whites Bullseye TRX Pinpointer is the perfect companion to your metal detector. Able to find valuable coins, rings, jewelry, gold, and relics. When you’ve located a target and dug the hole, use the Bullseye TRX Pinpointer to precisely “pinpoint” the target. No tuning. Completely automatic. The powerful LED light illuminates target areas when the button is pushed. Powered for up to 20 hours on two AA batteries or a single 9-Volt battery.
The Bullseye TRX’s area of detection is concentrated around the tip, making it easy to zero in on the target. This feature, along with the ones below, makes the Bullseye TRX the complete pinpointer on the market plus. It is IP68 Certified, making it waterproof to 10 feet.
- 12 kHz Operating Frequency
- Doesn’t interfere with any other metal detector
- Audio and/or Vibrate Alert
- Automatic Power Off
- Dual Battery Operation (2-AA or 1-9V)
- Full Two-year Warranty
- Holster (up to 3″ belt)
- Lanyard Attachment Loop on TRX and Holster
- LED Light
- Lost Pinpointer Alarm
- Overload Indicator
- Replaceable Shell
- Ruler with Inch Markings
- Simple One-Button Operation
- Target Ratcheting
- Waterproof to 10 feet, IP68 Certified
Deteknix 1V_1401.101 Pin-Pointer Metal Detector X-Pointer
This is an underwater pinpoint, with the ability to dive underwater up to 60 meters. A huge plus is the built-in lithium-ion battery, which can be charged from any device with a USB connector (power supply, laptop, PowerBank) and others.
This pinpointer has excellent quality and affordable price, so it can be afforded, by a beginner and experienced treasure hunter. The main application of the X-Pointer is the exact localization of the location of the find after your regular metal detector has seen the signal under the search coil area. Having this pinpointer in your search arsenal, you save a lot of time when searching for rings, coins, jewelry, pendants, and other types of metal products.
The peculiarity of this device is IP68 waterproof housing. In the production of Deteknix X-Pointer, the latest and most advanced technologies have been used to compete freely with global brands in the market of metal detectors. The detector has an auto-tuning mode. It has different levels of sensitivity, a flashlight for searching in the dark or under water, a vibration and sound mode, a built-in battery (can be charged from any USB device). It is necessary to understand that the closer the find is to the working area of the device, the more intense the sound alert or the vibration mode.
This device can be used not only during an instrument search but also used as a necessary tool during construction to detect hidden wiring, valves. The pin can detect hidden wiring in the wall or communication. It works smoothly in both salt and freshwater due to impulses.
- Four levels of sensitivity;
- Sealed (underwater) housing IP68;
- It has sound mode, vibration mode, vibration + sound, sound signal + backlight;
- It is possible to submerge up to 60 m;
- Compactness and low weight of the detector;
- Outside there is a ruler that shows the depth of the find;
- The working area of the sensor is 360 degrees;
- The “anti-loss” mode (produces a characteristic sound signal after 3 minutes in the switched-on state).
What is a Pinpointer?
Pinpointer is a special metal detector that is used to accurately, almost to the millimeter, determine the location of the object. It is usually made small in size and may even resemble a flashlight. There is no discrimination in such devices, and it may well serve an excellent service for detecting electrical wiring inside the wall.
Quite often, treasure hunters use pinpointer to search for small coins or jewelry in excavations, sometimes even in waste dumps. It should also be borne in mind that such a detector can determine whether the object is at a very small depth, up to five centimeters in total.
What Does A Pinpointer Do?
Sometimes it is not very easy to find a small target in a large bunch of ground, turned out by a shovel, especially in slushy, dank weather. Also in the wall or bottom of the fossa, using the pin is much easier to localize the object, and dig it out, guaranteed not to damage. After all, you also lose time while you are looking for some interestingness in an earth dump, thick grass or in fallen autumn leaves. Not to mention the winter hunting, when it is necessary to cut the booty out of the ground that was frozen into concrete and to drop an ax over the desired coin.
Of course, in almost all modern metal detectors, there is a mode for pinpointing the target, but most of the search coils are not that small, and the instruments themselves are quite powerful. So time to extract a find, especially a small one, sometimes takes much more than we would like. But pinpointer copes with the task perfectly. Saving time is very tangible. In addition, the time spent on sorting grass, earth, sand, leaves, etc. can be spent with much greater benefit.
It is also useful to pin when conducting searches in old houses or in attics. Sometimes it is very difficult to ring the device, even with the sniper, secluded corners. Here you can successfully work with pinpointer in the most cramped conditions. You need a minimum of space for a maneuver.
With it, you can determine, for example, where the wiring is in the wall and already guaranteed not to touch the wire when doing any work.
Thus, there is no doubt that pinpointer is not at all a toy for lovers of “glamorous” search, but quite a serious machine that will greatly facilitate our work and will save us a great time.
How To Use A Pinpointer
With the help of a metal detector, you find a “certain” colored object that you think is worth digging out of the ground. Pre-determine with the help of the search coil of the metal detector, the intended location of this “certain” color object. Visually, we remember the point of the strongest sound signal in the part of the ground where the search coil is located. Then with a certain margin to the side, make cuts of turf in the form of a letter P and turn it to the side where there is no cut. If for some reason there is no turf, for example, this is an ordinary arable field, you simply make a dump of soil in any direction. Roughly speaking, using a shovel, extract a lump of earth containing this colored object.
If the object is not found with the standard pin of the metal detector immediately within 5 to 15 seconds and you start frantically breaking, raking or sifting the ground with your fingers in search of this object, you should activate the manual pinpointer! After activating the pin, keeping the device in a horizontal position or close to the horizon, run a hand, slightly touching the pinpointer surface of the excavated earth.
At the location of the object, your device will respond to the metal and turn on the target alarm (depending on the model). Target alarms can be different, for example, vibration mode, sound, or all at once, but the principles of their response to the target are one! If you hear a decrease in sound (vibration), therefore the target is removed from the pinpointer active zone. Conversely, the increase in continuous vibration (sound) corresponds to the approach of the active zone to this object. When the target is located at a distance of 0.5 to 1 cm (depending on the model) to any wall or pin of the pinpointer, the device will begin to emit a sound and continuously vibrate constantly!
Carrying the device
For carrying and its convenient location on the equipment (clothing), these devices are equipped with protective covers in the form of a holster. The holster is recommended to be worn on the side or on the belt but always under a developed hand. If you are right-handed, thread a loop of the holster on the right side of the belt, or do the opposite if you are left-handed.
Storage of the device
Before storing the pinpointer for the winter, always remove the battery from the battery compartment to prevent accidental electrolyte leakage. Pinpoint is best stored in a factory carton box. Even the adoption of these minimum precautionary measures is quite enough so that before the onset of the new search season, your pinpointer once again worked flawlessly as if nothing had happened!
Do You Need A Pinpointer To Metal Detect?
Difficult localization and removal of small colored targets from the ground is a well-known problem in modern metal detectors equipped with DD (Double D) search coils. Of course, along with all the advantages of the DD scheme, there is one bottleneck in it.
This bottleneck is expressed in an inaccurate, sometimes “constantly floating” definition of the center from the target found using a standard metal detector coil. And usually, such an inaccurate work of a pinpointer of the metal detector itself makes it difficult for a novice search engine, who is not yet ready to quickly localize and use the search coil using a search coil.
It is for such a task, how to quickly and accurately localize colored fines, ranging, for example, from a small scale to a full-fledged coin, and there is this unique class of miniature metal detectors called differently: pinpointer, pin pointer or propointer, etc. Such a statement does not mean at all that, for example, with a pinpointer you can only search for small metal objects!
On the contrary, with its help, you can precisely localize absolutely any metal target! Also, such a device can search for the metal in brick or wooden walls, in general, everywhere where there are no frequent metal structures, such as fittings and similar engineering support structures.
How To Choose A Pinpointer
- It has a stable and progressive sound signal;
- No false signals (does not respond to the purity of the metal detector);
- The tip has a detection range of 360 degrees;
- The pinpointer case has a moisture resistance of at least IP66;
- It has different levels of sensitivity;
- Instant on/off time;
- It has a small current consumption.
Common problems with all fake devices according to metal detector pinpointer reviews:
- Uneven detection accuracy, very unstable signal, pinpoint responds to stones;
- They do not see very small objects, and the depth/sensitivity is very small;
- Poor build quality and low durability;
- Usually, battery consumption is three times greater due to pulsed induction technology (instead of VLF).