Best Metal Detectors
For a beginner, a metal detector is a special device that can find metal objects underground. However, in fact, everything is not so simple. The ground is fraught with a lot of iron debris. How to use a metal detector to find a really valuable thing with its help? After reading this article, you will learn everything about metal detectors: where to buy metal detectors, what is the best metal detector, how does a metal detector work and how much does a metal detector cost. You’ll be able to pick up a device that will become an indispensable tool in finding hidden treasures.
Top 5 Metal Detectors
Garret ACE 400 Pro-Pointer II Special
The ACE 400i Special is an advanced package that includes the Garrett Pro-Pointer II designator. The updated model inherits all the advantages of the ACE series and at the same time has such new features as iron sound, a more precise setting for iron discrimination, a digital target identifier, collet clamps, and an operating frequency increased to 10 kHz.
As before, the DD coil has a good grip and depth inherent in expensive professional instruments, and with the new operating frequency, the instrument has good prospects for searching for non-ferrous metals, jewelry, and coins.
The Garrett 400i metal detector is a replacement for the well-known Euro ACE 350 model with an extended package. It additionally includes branded Garrett headphones, a protective cover on the coil and the unit. This metal detector is very easy to learn, but at the same time, it has the best performance in its class.
The higher frequency compared to the Garrett ACE 200i, 300i and 350 metal detectors provide a higher depth of detection of, especially small and medium targets. In this model, a new digital target identifier is also implemented (the VDI number from 0 to 99 is displayed), which, together with an indicator on the discrimination scale and a multi-tone audio response, allows you to estimate the find before it is excavated more accurately. There is a special function IRON AUDIO, which allows you to better screen out rusty corks, nails, as well as large iron objects.
Why to buy?
- The sound of iron. Allows you to hear a low sound signal from the cut-off (discriminated) iron targets and change the switching point of the signal of the average tone
- Higher operating frequency of 10 kHz provides better sensitivity to targets with low and medium conductivity (gold, lead, etc.)
- Adjustable frequency allows you to avoid interference from other devices operating side by side
- Collet clips on the rod improve the design of the device
- Moisture-proof DD coil provides a wide capture, good depth, and resistance to mineralization
- Arbitrary discrimination in any segments on the scale allows you to tune the device to certain types of targets
- The depth indicator of the coin allows you to evaluate the depths the location of the object if it is commensurate in size with the coin
- The scale is marked according to the needs of European search engines (differs from the US version)
- Compatibility with all ACE coils
- The European version of the 400i differs from the American one of 400 by different low and medium tone sounds, increased accuracy of iron discrimination setting, scale marking, modified discrimination masks and availability of official warranty support.
Bounty Hunter TK4 Tracker IV Metal Detector
Tracker IV – a metal detector operating in dynamic mode. This means that in order to detect metal, the search ring must be in motion. When using the Tracker IV metal detector, which operates in a static mode, carry objects over the ring, objects under the ring cannot be detected.
Three modes of operation of the device. Tracker IV has three modes of operation:
“ALL METAL” (all metals), “TONE”, “FULL” (tone discrimination and full discrimination). After turning on the device and setting the desired sensitivity (“Sensitivity” knob), proceed to the choice of operating mode.
- All metals (ALL METAL): (three-position switch in the middle position) in this mode, all types of metals will be detected: iron, steel, aluminum, bronze, copper, gold. Application: search for rare books, search for gold, hunting for treasure, land surveying.
- Full Discrimination (DISC): (three-way switch to the left position) in this mode most of the metal debris will automatically be “removed”, ignored. Changing the position of the “DISC / NOTCH” knob towards “high” will increase the range of discrimination.
- Tone Discrimination (TONE): (three-position switch to the right position) in this mode, the characteristic dual (high or low) “beep” and automatic removal of iron makes the search for jewels, non-ferrous metals most effective. This mode also makes it possible to get a “broken” signal for aluminum garbage, for which the “DISC / NOTCH” regulator must be installed in the center (approximately at 12.00). Having a 2-tone determination and a “broken” signal for garbage, you can determine the type of metal found in the ground according to the signals issued by the device. Recall: search for coins, jewelry, work on heavily littered areas.
Why to buy?
- The Tracker IV metal detector detects a coin at a depth of 20 cm., large items at a depth of 90 cm.
- The metal detector has an automatic installation of the balance on the ground, without loss of sensitivity.
- The target arrow analyzer provides information about the detected metallic object and its conductivity (iron, gold, silver). The position of the arrow on the indicator depends on the conductivity of the metal.
- Dynamic modes “all metals”, “sound discrimination”, “IRON discrimination” are switched by a toggle switch.
- 2 knobs for smoothly changing sensitivity and discrimination levels.
- 2-tone and broken sound signals allow you to identify the type of metal in the ground.
- Standard ¼” headphone jack.
- Battery status indicator (Kron 9 volt power, 2 pcs.).
- Search coil 20 cm;
- Weight in working condition – 1.35 kg.
RM RICOMAX Metal Detector
Need to find gold and silver jewelry, coins, and other metal in the ground? Try this one. With this powerful and versatile metal detector, you can hunt for coins, relics, jewelry, gold, and silver everywhere. It is also widely used in detecting aluminum, copper and rare metals and anywhere that hidden metal needs to be detected.
Just press the button, you can simply set the target range (Up to 7.1″ inches deep) or eliminate the metal you don’t want. Then, you can accurately find the certain metal you need. The crossed frame is for item(s) eliminated, and two 9V alkaline batteries are required
Why to buy?
- LCD Display: shows the probable type of metal, the depth of the target, range of DISC&NOTCH, the level of SENS, and battery condition. It also has a numeric display for DISC and TARGET.
- Three Tone Audio Discrimination: sounds three distinctive tones (high, medium, and low) for different types of metal.
- Notch: ignores junk metal and finds valuable items by setting the notch range.
- DISC: discriminates the unwanted target by setting the DISC numeric range.
- Light: Used in a dark area.
- PP: Pinpoints the location of the target accurately.
- Super Slow Sweep Identification: with a very slow sweep of the search coil to discriminate different types of metal.
- Headphone Jack: lets you connect headphones (not supplied) of 3.5mm and operate without trouble.
- 250mm Waterproof Search coil: lets you use the detector even if you must put it under shallow water.
- Note: The detector cannot be used in the rain.
- Adjustable shaft: lets you adjust the length of the shaft for comfortable use.
- Power: Your metal detector requires two 9-volt alkaline batteries (not supplied).
Fisher F22 Weatherproof Metal Detector with Submersible Search Coil
Underwater metal detector F22 is a fully weatherproof, easy to use a turn-on-and-go metal detector. It has superfast retune speed with excellent target separation and easy to use Discrimination, Sensitivity, Notch, and Pinpoint features. Fe-Tone adjustable iron audio allows you to set the volume of ferrous targets lower than the volume of non-ferrous targets for increased clarity on desirable targets. Easily identify buried targets with the 9-Segment Target Categories and a 0-99 numeric Target-ID enhanced with 4-Tone Audio-ID System. Custom made to allow users to set their own tones. Go ahead, get it wet! The F22 can handle almost any environment!
Why to buy?
- Two AA batteries
- Adjustable audio metal identification
- 9-segment visual identification
- 4 modes of operation: jewels, coins, artifacts, and individually customizable mode
- Metal identification scale (from 1 to 99)
- Iron identification function
- 10 levels of sensitivity settings and 20 levels of volume settings
- Ability to remember individual settings
- Lightweight, only 1 kg
- 9 “elliptical waterproof coil
NATIONAL GEOGRAPHIC PRO Series Metal Detector
This professional metal detector is easy to use and fully adjustable. It’s light enough for the kids to operate but built with the advanced technology and powerful searching features desired by the professionals around the world. Take it to the beach, park, or on a hike and find treasure everywhere you go! This telescoping design makes this detector so portable you’ll never want to leave it at home.
Why to buy?
- High-quality performance & simple operation
- Highly portable telescoping design – no assembly required
- 10″ waterproof detection coil
- Audio alert detection with volume adjustment and headphone jack
- 3 detection modes to filter out “garbage” metals
- 4 sensitivity modes to detect treasure as deep as 12 inches underground
- Pinpoint function for added precision
- Easy to understand LCD display
What is a Metal Detector?
A metal detector is an electronic device that has the ability to detect the presence of metal in soil, water, walls, on any other surface without direct contact with it. This is possible due to the fact that the metal detector emits radio waves, and when it detects secondary signals, that is, when metal is detected, this device informs about this fact by means of a sound signal or by moving an arrow on display.
When the metal detector is turned on, an electromagnetic field is generated in its search head, which propagates into the environment. If a metal falls within the range of a search coil of a metal detector, then eddy currents appear on its surface under the influence of an electromagnetic field. These currents create a counter electromagnetic field, which reduces the power of the electromagnetic field of the search coil, and it is this process that fixes the electronic circuit of the metal detector. It processes the information received and signals the presence of metal. It is worth knowing that the detected metal objects can be made not only from non-ferrous metal but also from black.
Technology used in Metal Detectors
Any metal detector generates a magnetic field around the coil transmitter. Due to this, the target also has a magnetic flux under the coil, which catches the coil receiver. Then this magnetic flux is converted into visual information on the screen and into a sound signal.
Conventional ground metal detectors (VLF) generate a constant current in the coil transmitter, and changes in the phase and voltage amplitude at the receiver show the presence of metallic objects.
But devices with pulse induction (PI) are distinguished by the fact that it generates a transmitter current that turns on for a while and then abruptly turns off. The coil field generates pulsed eddy currents in the object, which are detected by analyzing the attenuation of the pulse induced in the receiver coil. This cycle repeats continuously, maybe hundreds of thousands of times per second.
What to Consider when buying a metal detector?
When buying a metal detector, most often the buyer, first of all, assesses the possibilities of the most expensive devices and believes that it is worth paying a large amount of money, and immediately all valuable items will appear from under the ground. Unfortunately, this is not the case.
First of all, you need to ask yourself the question: what equipment do you already know how to use and what kind of search are you going to conduct? When buying a first metal detector, especially when the search is just a hobby, it is better to choose not the most expensive equipment.
The main characteristics that should be considered when buying a soil metal detector include the screen, discriminator, search mask, coil, additional functions.
In contrast to the full depth metal detectors, soil metal detectors are equipped with a screen that displays the settings and displays data on the findings. Usually, the screen of the soil metal detector displays the information that the search engine needs in his search. This includes:
- display of the discriminator data and search masks, which allow you to determine the type of metal detected and the set of targets currently set;
- pinpointer and depth to the target, which shows the exact determination of the position of the target and the depth of its occurrence;
- additional settings, such as indications of charge or battery consumption, the set sensitivity of the detector.
All other data are secondary and demonstrate the comfort of working with a specific metal detector.
What Accessories Do You Need With A Metal Detector?
Most think that the treasure hunter does not need anything else except for the metal detector. Therefore, when a novice buys a device, he realizes that this is not enough.
Shovel. The second necessary tool. Of course, without a shovel, you will not find the treasure found by the metal detector. It should be comfortable, strong, balanced in the hands. And most importantly compact, so that it can be hidden in a backpack. And by the way, do not forget to sharpen it after purchase.
Headphones. If you want to dig serious finds from the depths, then headphones are required. Often weak signals are skipped due to poor hearing of the sound from the device. And, for example, not far from the highway, during the wind in the forest, they will save from excessive noise.
Pinpointer. Such an incomprehensible word, but a very useful device. Pinpointer – a miniature metal detector. It determines the exact location of the target, down to the millimeter. During excavations, it is possible inside the perimeter of the dug hole to hold pinpointer and find out the location of the object. It also significantly speeds up the search process in a sticky piece of soil. In addition, it is always in hand and has an excellent reaction to the metal.
Bag. It may be small and simple, but it is better than to take away their finds in the pockets. For convenience, instead of a bag, you can use the patch pocket, which is best attached to the trousers. So the “treasure” will not be lost, and you will not have to carry a bag with you.
Backpack. The essential thing for long journeys. Before you buy a backpack for a metal detector, you need to choose a very reliable and roomy model. Keep this in mind when buying. It should fit everything. A metal detector, and a shovel, and other things you need. Also, do not forget that you will have to wear it on your back all day, so the backpack should be comfortable and not hinder movement. So you do not have to treat your back.
A knife and a flashlight for the treasure hunt are irreplaceable items in the digger’s gear.
How Deep Will A Metal Detector Go?
So at what depth does the metal detector “goes”. For the most part, this depth is only 20-30 cm, in some cases 40-50 cm (especially powerful instruments). All metal objects lie no deeper than 50 cm; after all, more than 99% of all these objects are lost items.
Imagine digging every time more than half a meter? In general, good devices can react to longer distances – up to 1.5 meters. But this is provided that the subject of a large size, for example, a car. Coins will see a rare device in the ground deeper than 40-50 cm, even if it is Catherine’s pennies (very massive coins). There are, of course, special metal detectors, which see a depth of several meters. But they are created to search only very large metal objects.
Where to Search With A Metal Detector?
These are places where villages were located a long time ago, they are considered one of the most successful places to search with a metal detector, there are several reasons for this: such places are quite easy to find on the map, and they are very large in size, and therefore the losses in those times were numerous, so the findings will be significant. You can get coins from the seventeenth to the twentieth century. There will be plenty of them.
Bazaars and fairs are also a great place to search. The search for coins in such places will be a pleasure, but the problem is that such places are not marked on the map, and the digger needs to know the exact coordinates in this matter. Therefore, very often, diggers in search of bazaars pass the entire neighborhood of villages (knowing that there were bazaars and fairs in this village) with a metal detector.
One of the lucrative places, along with fairs and bazaars, are inns. They were located mainly near the entrance or exit to the village. A sufficiently large number of coins metal detectors find in these areas.
There are also roads and various paths. They connected districts and other villages, farms, and counties.
Good places where you can also search for some treasure are fords and crossings. Passing the ford people’s thoughts were busy with other things, and often, no one paid attention to the loss of coins. Coins were also lost at the bridges.
Places of hostilities since the World War II. Here they often find cartridges, helmets, bayonets, and guns. Excavations should be carried out very carefully, as there is a chance to stumble upon a whole charge, having lain in the ground for decades, it can still explode.