Choosing and buying the best metal detector for beginners sometimes is the most difficult and important task in this hobby. If you think that after buying an expensive and sophisticated metal detector, you will immediately find cool finds, then you are mistaken. As a rule, such metal detectors have a lot of settings and functions in which an inexperienced user will definitely get confused. Agree, because it’s much nicer to turn on and go looking for than picking in the settings. However, entry-level branded metal detectors for beginners have all the basic functions necessary for comfortable searching.
Here will give you some practical advice from the depths beginners guide that (we hope) will help you in choosing your first metal detector.
Fisher F22 is a completely new device from Fisher Research Labs. For a relatively low cost, you will get a beautiful weather-resistant device with 4-modes of operation (jewels, coins, artifacts, and an individually adjustable mode), target designation mode, digital output of metal, 9-segment visualization of the target.
The beginner metal detector works on the principle of selective discrimination. Metals are divided into 9 segments, which correspond to the graphic scale on the screen F22. Each of the segments can be included in the search program or turned off. The set of included segments is called the Search Program.
There are 4 such programs in the metal detector. When a find hits a detector coil, a segment corresponding to its group is highlighted on the screen, the numerical designation of the conductivity of the metal contained in the find (VDI / Target ID number) and beeps (response to the target). The response of the Fisher F22 is multichannel, for ferrous metal a low tone, for a find with non-ferrous metal, a higher one. The selected settings are saved when you turn off, and then on.
The device screen displays: information about the target, the depth to the target, the current settings of the metal detector, the status of the batteries.
- Power supply – 2 AA batteries
- Adjustable audio metal identification
- 9-segment visual identification
- 4 modes of operation, including individual mode settings
- Metal identification scale (from 1 to 99)
- 4-mode targeting
- Iron identification function
- 10 levels of sensitivity settings and 20 levels of volume adjustment
- Ability to remember individual settings
- Elliptical waterproof 9 “coil in a set
- Ultralight – 1 kg
- Operating frequency of 7.69 kHz
Teknetics Delta 4000 is a classic and one of the best metal detector for a beginner. Teknetics Delta 4000 has the maximum capture of the entire spectrum of finds, which are found on the fields of your digging location. From a knife or German bayonet to royal coins or lost jewelry.
But in spite of its simplicity, the Delta 4000 has some pretty serious features, a two-digit target identifier, dynamic mode “all metals”, target designator (PinPointer),
- Digital display of the object category (target ID) in two numbers from 0 to 99
- 3-tone discrimination (ferrous metals – low tone, non-ferrous – medium and high tone, depending on conductivity)
- 8 levels of discrimination (from black to color)
- Targeting mode to determine the exact location of the target
- Adjustments: discrimination, sensitivity, volume
- Operating modes: dynamic discrimination and “All metals” in dynamics
- Battery discharge indicator and depth indicator of a coin type object
- Overload signal
- Intuitive menu system
- 2 connectors for all types of headphones – ⅛” and 1/4″
- Preset Ground Balance
- 8″ round mono coil
This probably the best entry-level metal detector has an increased operating frequency of 8 kHz, which better detects small objects from non-ferrous metals, but at the same time remains sensitive to objects of medium and large size, so Garrett ACE 300 will be equally effective for any direction of metal search. To speed up the setup of the device, you can choose one of five preset modes, which quickly adjusts the metal detector to the desired type of search, for example, coin, beach, relics or user, in which you can save individual preferences. The device has an additional button for setting the broadcast frequency, and to clarify the identification of objects on the screen, the VDI number in the range from 0 to 99 is additionally displayed.
Due to the increased size of the coil, the Garrett ACE 300 has a higher scanning speed and also captures a larger volume of soil, which saves time when examining large areas. PinPoint mode will help center the find and detect it in a littered area without using a sniper coil, although if necessary, you can choose the optimal set of additional coils that maximize the full potential of Garrett ACE 300. The metal detector is available in two versions: for the US market and for the rest countries with the letter “i” at the end of the model name, and the second modification has differences in the settings and the form of the control panel itself, which are more focused on the specifics of the objectives and the soil s European continent.
- Digital target ID: displays values from 0 to 99, which provide information about the detected target.
- The moisture resistant 7 “x 10” (17.5 x 25.5 cm) PROformance series provides a wide grip, good depth, and resistance to mineralization
- A higher operating frequency of 8 kHz provides better sensitivity to targets with low and medium conductivity (gold, lead, etc.)
- Adjustable frequency avoids interference from other devices working nearby
- Collet chucks on the rod improve the design of the device
- The sound of iron. Allows you to hear a low sound signal from the cut-off (discriminated) iron targets and change the switching point of the signal of the average tone
- Increased accuracy of iron discrimination (6 segments) allows you to more accurately configure the device to search for useful items without ignoring the metal garbage
- The targeting function (pinpoint) makes it possible to accurately detect the position of the object in the ground before digging.
- Arbitrary discrimination on any segment on the scale allows you to configure the device for certain types of goals
- 5 search modes (discrimination masks) and targeting mode
- 8 steps of sensitivity adjustment
- The indicator of the depth of the coin allows you to estimate the depth of the object if it is commensurate with the size of the coin
Another pretender to be the best beginner metal detector. The Bounty Hunter Tracker IV metal detector is equipped with a needle target analyzer that reports information about the conductivity of a found object and makes it possible to identify it by type: iron, gold, silver. Thanks to the waterproof case, you can find coins and jewels in wet soils – swamps and the coastal zone.
The preset search program for the metal detector Bounty Hunter Tracker IV will help you quickly configure the necessary parameters for accurate detection of targets. Due to this, the metal detector is convenient to use for novice users.
The search frequency of 6.6 kHz does not overlap with industrial frequencies, frequencies of electrical networks, and communication lines. Thanks to this, you will definitely find metal objects near power lines or radio transmitters.
The discriminator, controlled by a three-position switch, allows you to tune only to the desired type of metal at the moment. This function will help you find the desired metal or alloy when there is a lot of garbage in the search area.
Automatic tuning of search modes depending on soil mineralization allows finding objects in any type of soil with equal precision. With this feature, you always get the exact result when searching with a Bounty Hunter Tracker IV metal detector in soils with a high degree of mineralization or with a high content of metals.
Detection of an object is accompanied by a sound signal in order not to be distracted by the metal detector screen. The metal detector signals with different levels of tone, from deep bass to alt, it will alert you to the detection of objects such as nails, tongues from cans, coins.
The armrest is adjustable in three positions, which allows you to adjust it for comfortable wearing for a long time. Adjusting the length of the rod will ensure comfortable use of the metal detector for people of any height.
- Detection of small targets, such as coins, at a depth of 20 cm, large ones – up to 90 cm.
- 2 knobs for smoothly changing sensitivity and discrimination levels.
- The standard ¼” jack is designed to connect headphones so as not to be distracted by external noise.
- Weight 1.18 kg is convenient for long-term use.
- The length of the metal detector with a rod is from 1.14 to 1.35 meters, which allows you to configure the device for any height.
- Powered by two 9-volt Krona batteries that are easy to buy.
The detector is very easy to use. There are just a few buttons to toggle the sensitivity level, volume, and different kinds of metals to target. It can supposedly tell the difference between metals.
The length can be easily adjusted for any kid or adult, and it folds down to a very compact size. It feels pretty sturdy even though it’s mostly plastic, but it is very light because of that. It requires AA batteries, and even after a few hours of use, the battery indicator is still showing as full.
The instructions also mention that the coil is waterproof, so it’ll be great to take to the beach once it warms up a bit!
- Find the buried treasure and feel the thrill of discovery when you locate cool artifacts like gold, coins, jewelry, tools, and more!
- Easy to use for all ages, sizes, and skill levels from beginner to advanced. Just unfold and go.
- Compact, large waterproof 10″ coil, lightweight and collapses to just 22 inches and 2 lbs. Great for travel!
- Packed with pro features including 3 detection modes, 4 sensitivity levels, and a pinpoint location feature to help you distinguish trash from treasure as deep as 12 inches
How To Choose Your First Metal Detector?
Metal detectors for searching in the ground are the most common metal detectors. Soil metal detectors have maximum functions. The most important is the discriminator, pinpoint, determining the depth of the target.
We strongly recommend not buying homemade metal detectors, you know the saying “greedy pays twice”, so this is exactly the case. No matter how the seller praises his homemade metal detector, it will never reach the level of even the simplest metal detector. They may be useful for searching for scrap metal, but certainly not for treasure hunting.
With the growing popularity of treasure hunting as a hobby, fake metal detectors of famous world brands collected by Chinese craftsmen began to appear on the market. Such fakes are very much inferior to the originals in the quality of assembly, and even the performance, we think, you should not write what quality Chinese products in general, metal detectors are no exception. To avoid such an unwelcome purchase, buy metal detectors in stores with a good reputation and good products.
The initial level of metal detectors does not imply the depth of detection (how often they are mistaken) or the number of finds. Entry-level metal detectors are standard-type metal detectors: a discriminator with ready-made and custom masks, pinpoint, and an average search coil. Most of the settings are set to automatic – on the one hand, this makes it much easier to start learning to search from metal detectors, but on the other hand, it does not allow the searcher to set its own values. And yet it is better to start with entry-level metal detectors. This will allow you to start the search right now, without an in-depth study of the instructions, without much understanding how it all works. Entry-level metal detectors are the metal detector that you turned on and immediately went to search.
How to Get Started With Metal Detecting?
Before you begin a serious search, you should practice working with a metal detector in an open area with soft soil. The main rule is to listen carefully and avoid the unnecessary fuss. Try to adjust the metal detector yourself depending on the type of soil and the level of saturation with its minerals.
Try to hold the coil as close as possible to the surface of the earth, moving it from side to side. In the case when, by the nature of the sound, you cannot determine the exact place where the target of your search is located, then, most likely, the search is located close and it is rather large in size.
Where to start searching?
You can dig in different places, but, first of all, you need to find out if it is not forbidden to conduct a search there. There are places where digging is even forbidden. Remember that you must comply with the legislation.
It is forbidden to search on objects of cultural heritage, but it is not forbidden to search in other places. Therefore, it is necessary to find out what exactly relates to these objects? It is necessary to study the legislation on the objects of cultural heritage carefully. Where not prohibited, there and you can do treasure hunting.
For a novice treasure hunter, it is best to conduct searches on the territory of abandoned housing facilities. This may be the courtyard of an old house or the territory of another object, whose age is one hundred years or more. Such places have deposits of various objects in the soil, which means that the discrimination option is useful.
What to Look for while searching?
The main finds that our diggers are looking for are coins. Many diggers are numismatists, so they are even more pleased to dig.
People lived everywhere so that you can search for coins in different places. It is not necessary to have a map if you are interested in the antique coin. It is enough to know where people gather – beaches, forest belts, etc. If you are interested in a royal coin, then without maps and communication with local old-timers it will be difficult to find them.
Now old maps are on the Internet in free access. The idea of one person came to life, and he brought a lot of pleasant things to the diggers. The special sites are the place from which any beginner or experienced treasure hunter can download free good vintage maps.