The beach is a beautiful place to spend time. In this article, you get to know something else that you can do here apart from enjoying a vacation. It is about metal detection. This is different from the process of old coins search. But it takes courage as bystanders and holidaymakers will have plenty of questions for you. This is why you should do this when the weather is not great for most people. No one wants to be at the beach when there is no sun, it’s windy, or the weather is simply bad. There will be fewer people, and you can take the time to detect metals.
Read to know the best metal detector to use in your search. We highlight the features of various types of metal detectors and give you tips on how to detect metals on the beach.
This metal detector looks like a mine detector. It is an excellent option when looking for an efficient gadget that works regardless of weather conditions. It is accurate and so easy to work with allowing you to explore different areas.
With this model, you can carefully scan the desired area. If any valuable thing has been lost, you can be sure that you will definitely find it with ATX Deepseeker. In addition, the device allows you to find real antiques, which can cost a fortune. Wet environment, severe debris, or sandy soil – all this will not cause the cancellation of search operations.
Garret ATX Deepseeker carefully scans your area of choice. It detects anything metallic and ensures you recover valuables lost on the beach. What’s more, you can use this device to locate antiques that no one knows about their existence. You may be lucky to find something worth a fortune lying deep in the waters or sands along your favourite beach.
The device works despite the area being wet, full of debris and sand. You should not cancel your exploration adventure; just find the right tool and get ready to make discoveries never made by anyone before. The ATX has a coil that enables it to filter minerals perfectly. It shows you where the metal is before your excavation begins. You get to know how deep the metal, gold nuggets, old coins, artifact or jewellery are.
- It can make simultaneous detections of various targets. You do not require making any adjustments.
- ATX is a modern system that detunes different types of soils, including the highly mineralized ground and saltwater.
- The device’s coil comes with DD design, which elevates your chances of finding locating small metallic items but does not slow the scanner’s speed.
- It has two modes; “Static” and “In Motion.” You can choose what suits your situation best for optimum results.
- ATX is fully collapsible and with an adjustable bar that you can fix in various positions.
- Every soil requires specialized testing. This detector has four settings, and they help you test for ferrous metals presence. Each set is made to suit specific soil balance.
- It has LED indicators. The display signal is clear, and the signal strong enough for you to quickly tell where the metals are.
- The waterproof speakers ensure you work with the device in a wet environment without breaking down.
- It is possible to set the sound controls loud enough to hear even the faintest signals
This metal detector is unique. It works very well in salty waters and can easily go deep in search of any ferrous materials. It can withstand the harshness found deep in salty waters. The device is created for underwater metal detection and therefore, you can dive with it as deep as you wish. If you want to reach the most hidden metallic treasures, this one is the best choice.
What’s more, Fisher 1280X can also be used in surface search along the beach. Regardless of how deep you want to go into the sea, this scanner comes in handy and doesn’t corrode due to lots of salt in the water.
- It can apply high salinity to the soil.
- Flexible and manually adjustable for the balance of the ground.
- This metal detector has a variable threshold signal
- Has auto threshold
- All channels are noise resistant.
Minelab CTX 3030 is one of the latest products by Minelab manufacturer. It was released in 2012 and it takes metal detection to an expert level. The device uses advanced concepts with an easy to carry design. It looks like a straight barbell but at the top is a pack of battery. The bar has a smooth finish made of carbon fibre with a standard height.
The CTX 3030 has an elevated offset unit, which is separate branch and has a colored display of 3.5 inches. On the rear side, it has a speaker and the additional trigger to help pinpoint metals and a USB connector. The pack of batteries counters the weight of the detectors and increases the ability to detect metals. The headphone comes in handy for weak signals.
Properties of Minelab CTX 3030
- It is water-resistant and, therefore, perfect for use on the beach. However, you can still use it on dry land along the beach. It can be used as deep as ten feet or three meters under the water.
- Has wireless audio that allows you freedom as you search for metals in the water. You simply attach headphones into the detector. Besides, it gives you the option to use a loudspeaker, thanks to the WM10 wireless module.
- Feco discrimination ability ensures your detector detects targets with the right iron content. This saves you time by eliminating useless ferrous objects from the list of items you detect. Also, it has “Target Trace and Target Separation” that enables it to identify accurately and detect multiple targets at the same time.
- It has a screen that makes it easy to use GPS navigation. This allows you to know areas that you already searched and this saves you time. What’s more, this device has the latest features of GPS navigation, including Waypoints, GeoHunts, GeoTrails and FindPoints that enable you to use the navigator remotely. You can leave the portable GPS at hope and still have the ability to use away into waters.
- Has PC cartography that allows you to download treasure locations and detector settings into your computer. But you have to use XChange 2 app. You simply attach images and texts of your findings and categorize them for easy understanding.
- You can upload data in the scanner to help you re-examine various areas that you liked most. This happens with the help of Google Maps.
- It has full-colour LCD. The metal detector shows you precise detail regarding an object in a better way than other detectors. CTX 3030 is one of the easiest ways to detect metals thanks to the clear resolution of the device.
- The identification process is fast. It is designed to reject or detect targets easily. This identification function saves you time and eases the metal detection process.
Has PC cartography that allows you to download treasure locations and detector settings into your computer. But you have to use XChange 2 app. You simply attach images and texts of your findings and categorize them for easy understanding.
The CZ-21 is used as deep as 250 feet underwater. It is among the best metal detectors to use in deep seas. It withstands the harshness of salty waters and can be used in freshwaters to find metals. Besides, it has an audio tone target ID, which is a rare feature and most desired by people looking for metals on the beach.
- Comes with a single-touch pinpoint
- Dual frequency
- Enables you to balance ground manually
- Autotune for all metals
- Has three-tone audio ID
- Effective target audio alert
- Adjustable volume, discrimination and sensitivity
If you want to comb beaches effectively, the White’s BeachHunter 300 is the best option. It can differentiate between metallic trash and real treasures found in the water or sandy beaches. It has a removable electronic control system and has an LEDcolored code to help you determine the value of the metal detected. Being waterproof, this device can be used under the water and submerged up to 7.5 meters.
The device is completely waterproof and can be submerged in water to a depth of 7.5 m.
The Spider coil is 12-inch, which makes it excellent for metal detection in deep waters. It has an epoxy coating that ensures the device is bouncy and therefore, the coil will not sink or get pushed to float on the water. Besides, it comes with Piezo headphones for easy detection. They are waterproof and, therefore, usable in water without fear of water damaging them.
The device’s dual-frequency allows optimal search in water and sands. It works in two different modes. You can set it to detect all metals or dynamic discrimination. Besides, you can use the three controls to adjust your device’s threshold background, soil balance and sensitivity.
- Comes three controls, namely; soil balance, sensitivity and background.
- The control unit is removable
- Has two frequencies
- Can be used in both salty and freshwaters
- Its water-resistant
- LED identification.
Choosing the Best Metal Detector
Metal detectors are available in a wide range. You will find professional and low-cost ones. They come with different features and the ability to explore different water depths. What you should know is the secrets of finding the best metal detector for fruitful deep waters and sand exploration. Here is what you must check before you buy one:
The Coil’s Size
The coil’s size determines how efficiently and accurately you can identify metallic targets. But at the same time, you should know what is excellent. For an eclipse coil in eclipse, it should be or less than 6 by 10 inches. If the coil is round, it should be 8 inches or less.
Requirements of the Coil Type
An ideal coil type should be either DD or mono. Most people prefer mono coils; however, there is nothing special about them. It’s all about personal preference.
Metal Detector’s Frequency
The best thing is that you can find cheap metal detectors if you are on a tight budget. However, if you can dig deeper, an expensive metal detector is always better. This enables you to get a detector that will operate a frequency of 13 kHz and 15 kHz or even higher than that.
The benefit of having elevated frequency is that it gives you a sharp definition of targets, including small ones such as chains, rings and earrings.
Another benefit is its ability to detect objects with electrical conductivity such as gold.
What’s more, high frequency provides better metals separations
Your metal detector is protected against electrical interference, and therefore you can use it in all areas, including beaches close to cities.
Is It Subversive, Water Resistant and Waterproof?
The metal detector you choose to buy should be determined by the search you want to carry out. Here are search options that you may want to look at:
One of the searches that you may choose is a coastal zone where you do not go into the water.
Secondly is the shallow waters search, which means the water is below the knee.
The deep-diving search includes an underwater search.
The Features of Metal Detector without Going into the Water
If you want to search for metals without getting into the water, you do not have to buy a professional detector. Away from the waters, the tightness of a device is not important. However, for salty waters such as a sea beach, you have to find a gadget that can work efficiently regardless of the condition. Explore areas with surf, especially most freshly washed sand along the coastal zone.
Why do this?
Meta detection is important because water moves different targets, including coins, earrings and rings. The surf area is the best to explore because it has not been studied and so you are likely to find treasure. You should never skip it.
Metal Detectors to use when Entering into the Waters
If you want to get into the sea, it means digging a little deeper and dealing with water. One of your hands will be holding the detector and a shovel on the other. This is suitable for scuba divers with all the gear and gadgets to keep them safe under the water.
Since there is the risk to drop your detector, get one with a sealed enclosure. This also allows you to excavate with both hands when you need to without losing your gadget.
Features of A Detector for Water Reaching Your Around the Waist
For such water, you should get a metal detector for scuba divers. The device must have a tightly sealed enclosure and have the ability to withstand immersion. You must have the right gear to avoid freezing and also put on a mask that will allow you to see what you are doing. What’s more, your detector must have earphones so you can hear a signal sound.
The Process of Beach Searching
Now you got your metal detector and working along the belt; you must be wondering where to start. How are metals searched on beach? Then suddenly, you receive a beep via your headphones, meaning some metals have been detected. You decide to put your detector aside, but it floats and fails to sink. This is where you dig below where your detector floats and move to the next spot.
What You Need for Metal Detection on the Beach
You need the scuba when searching for metals on the beach. It will sift through the sand and leave you with the findings. You choose the length of your scuba’s handle while considering the kind of search you want to do. They vary, including long, medium and short. Mostly you have to lean on the scuba foot when digging out a target; it helps you avoid bending over.
The other thing you need for metal detection on the beach is a pinpointer. It helps you get to the target fast and eliminates the difficulties of finding metals in the rocky bottom. It is common to dig ponds with rocky bottoms. While such areas are not necessarily a beach, people swim here, and you can find exciting and vintage metallic items. In short, the things you need for metal detection on the beach are:
- A detector that has a tight enclosure.
These are the things you must have if you want to get treasure lost in the water.
Is There A Protocol Followed to In Metal Search by The Shores?
There are some countries that have stipulated rules and procedures for investigating metal deposits at the beach hence approved paper work is required. Here is a list of such regulations from various countries.
This is a mineral rich country hence excavation in such of these metals is allowed at the sea shore. Over the years, nothing significant has been found in the Australian beaches as compared to other continents.
The government is protective of the beach areas. One has to get approval from the designated office that protects historical sites.
Six years ago, the Belarus government enacted a law to protect specific beach area, mostly regions of historic significance and privately owned lands by the shore. From the year 2013, metal search at the beach area has been highly restricted.
Hunting for historic metal deposits is not allowed for private lands but open in the wider beach area.
England offers permits to anyone who wishes to find metal at the beach area but one has to seek private permit from the land owners. In some area, one has to pay a fee. Any discovery declared to the public. Any attempt to confiscate such findings is illegal. There is also a way of determining the worth of these findings. Not every item is viewed as treasure in spite of its oblivious historical origin. Roman lead plates, for instance, are not upheld as historical finds.
One has to obtain a permit before setting out to search for treasure in the water or along the beach. The search is conducted using a beach metal detector.
The Ministry in charge of culture offer permits to the holders of metal detectors. Then one has to seek approval the local town office near the beach. However, one is not allowed to search for artifacts. It is illegal and one can imprisoned for breaking this law.
The beach area is totally controlled by the government hence no one is allowed to treasure hunt in such lands.
There are no historic pieces that one can actually find in the beach area. However, the land owners may allow search using metal detectors because tunneling or burrowing is against the law.
Initially, no one was allowed to detect metal in Portugal. However, current, it is allowed in parts of Portimau and Lagoa where clubs seek permission to dig. Besides, you can get special permission for beach searches. It is usually given by local administrations and it’s for locals only.
Searching for historical findings is against the law but if one wants to explore the beach, it is allowed.
The only restrictions are for digging or tunneling any treasures. But any search using an iron detector is legal. If one has interest in private lands, then the consent of the property owner must be given. Otherwise any metal search in privately owned properties without legal permission is considered a crime in the US.
You cannot detect metals in any historical monuments. It is strictly forbidden and against the law.
Metal search is allowed to a larger extent using a metal detector but one has to seek guidelines from the respective local office. The rules differ from one region to another. In every county, canton and semi-canton, there are rules. They differ and some areas forbid metal detection while other allow.
One cannot search for metal in all the beach areas whether public or private. It is against the law.
Happy treasure hunting!