This article is about beach metal detecting. Search with a beach metal detector is fundamentally different from the search for old coins in the countryside. Beach search, the fascination for people who are not embarrassed by the prospect of hundreds of questions posed by vacationers and simply bystanders on the beach, although it is possible to reduce these questions to a minimum. To do this, choose frightening weather for a standard man. Windy, sunless, simply nasty weather is perfect for beach metal detecting finds.
Here, we will tell you which metal detector is best used for this type of search, touch on the very types of this search, highlight its features, and reveal beach metal detecting tips.
The appearance of this one of the best metal detector for beach can remind you of a real mine detector. It does not matter in what conditions you are going to work. No weather will prevent you from conducting a search operation.
With this model, you can carefully scan the desired area. If any valuable thing has been lost, you can be sure that you will definitely find it with ATX Deepseeker. In addition, the device allows you to find real antiques, which can cost a fortune. Wet environment, severe debris, or sandy soil – all this will not cause the cancellation of search operations.
The model is equipped with a coil, which is characterized by perfect filtration of minerals. It is able to determine exactly what the found object consists of. For example, when dealing with a beach metal, if a metal plug is caught, the device will show it before you start the excavation. You will also be notified when you find artifacts, old coins, gold nuggets, jewelry.
This detector makes it possible not only to recognize the metal alloy but also to determine its real depth. The convenience of transportation is provided by the special cover made in the form of a convenient bag.
- Simultaneous detection of any targets. There is no need to switch search modes to detect any metal better, while the other will not be detected;
- The modern system of detuning from the ground. ATX has a wide range of soil detuning: from highly mineralized soils (ironstone mode) to saltwater without switching modes;
- Exclusive DD-coil design. Increases the likelihood of finding small items without slowing down the scan speed;
- Modes “In Motion” and “Static.” Allow you to work optimally with the metal detector according to your needs;
- Fully collapsible. ATX has an extendable bar which can be fixed in any position;
- Quick test for the presence of ferrous metals and custom Discrimination Soil tracking with 4 settings: select the setting that best suits your soil balance;
- LED indicators: display signal strength and current settings;
- Waterproof speakers;
- Frequency scanning: auto function to minimize radio interference;
- Sound control: setting a strong signal limit in order to hear weak signals better.
The main purposes of this saltwater metal detector are underwater search at maximum depth, search with a metal detector on the beach.
Specialized underwater metal detector for beach, capable of withstanding diving under the water for tens of meters, and to ensure the effective search for finds. Fisher 1280x is also often used for surface search, searching on beaches. The metal detector is resistant to seawater (high salt content) which makes this unit the best metal detector for saltwater beach on the market.
- The metal detector allows you to apply the compensation effect of high salinity in the soil
- Manual adjustment of the balance to the ground
- Variable threshold signal of the metal detector
- Auto Threshold
- Manual adjustment of the threshold signal
- Noise-resistant channels
In 2012, the manufacturer Minelab presented a new model in the series of the beach metal detectors, the Minelab CTX 3030, a device that makes it necessary to take a different look at the concepts of a professional-level metal detector.
The design of the Minelab CTX 3030 is a straight barbell, with a battery pack on top and a high offset of the block on a separate branch. The bar is made entirely of carbon fiber, the height of the device is standard.
The high offset unit on a separate branch is equipped with a 3.5-inch color display. On the back of it are a USB connector, a speaker, and an additional trigger for Pinpoint. The upper part of the bar of the device includes a battery pack and a comfortable armrest. The battery pack works as a counterweight and plays an important role, as the metal detector weighs 2.36 kg. It also has a headphone output and sealed access to batteries.
Main properties of one of the best beach metal detector:
- Water resistant. With the best metal detector for beaches, you can go searching anywhere. Because of the fact that the CTX 3030 is waterproof, you have the ability to search for objects both on land and underwater at a depth of 10 feet (3 m).
- Wireless audio. Enjoy the freedom to search without headphones attached to your detector. With the WM10 wireless module, you have the choice of using the loudspeaker included in the headset kit or your favorite headphones.
- Feco discrimination. The ability to detect targets by conduction and by their iron content, as well as the tone identification profiles that are being edited, allow you to detect the desired objects and ignore the rest. With Target Trace and Target Separation, multiple targets can be identified simultaneously for more accurate search results.
- GPS navigation. Using the screen with maps and GPS – navigation, you can see where you have already been and where you should go. New GPS – navigation features, such as GeoTrails, WayPoints, FindPoints, and GeoHunts, let you leave your portable GPS – navigator at home.
- PC cartography. Download all your detector settings and treasure locations to your PC using the XChange 2 application. Attach photos and text to your finds, group them into categories. Determine the position on Google Maps. You can also load data into the detector to re-examine favorite areas.
- Full-color display. According to beach metal detector reviews, full-color LCD display clearly shows more information about objects than before, and significantly increases the resolution of the CTX 3030 detector.
- Identification. Designed to accept or reject a detected target quickly, the Identification function will save you time and effort.
Another good beach metal detector CZ-21 is housed in the most rugged enclosure and has a collapsible pole assembly. A short pole assembly is desired when diving, but the full extension is preferred when standing or wading.
The CZ-21 is submersible to 250 feet, which makes it stand between the best beach metal detectors. The control housing can be easily removed for hip mounting, or it can be chest-mounted with an optional chest harness.
The CZ-21 has a reputation for being the best saltwater metal detector ever made but can be used in freshwater as well. This device is a multi-frequency metal detector that has adjustable discrimination, is easy to use and designed to handle the toughest mineral concentrations on any salt or fresh water beach. The CZ-21 also has Audio Tone Target-ID, a highly sought-after feature that allows users to distinguish iron targets from gold.
- Dual Frequency Fourier Domain Signal Analysis
- One touch Pinpoint (V.C.O. non-motion)
- Manual Ground Balance
- All Metal Auto-Tune Mode
- Discrimination Mode with 3-tone Audio Target-ID
- Large target alert audio, faint target audio boost
- Adjustable Sensitivity, Discrimination, and Volume
- Battery Test Mode
White’s BeachHunter 300 will be your best friend for combing beaches. The best metal detector for beachcombing easily ignores the iron trash and finds only real treasures on the beach and underwater. The electronic control unit is removable, and color-coded LEDs allow you to determine the type of target detected immediately.
The device is completely waterproof and can be submerged in water to a depth of 7.5 m.
A specially designed 12-inch Spider coil has a greater depth of detection. The epoxy coating gives it almost neutral buoyancy, not allowing the coil to go to the bottom or to be pushed to the surface of the water. Piezo headphones are also waterproof to protect against accidental water droplets.
Dual-frequency object detection provides optimal search results in the sand and in water. The device operates in two modes: the search for all metals and dynamic discrimination. Three controls allow you to adjust the threshold background, sensitivity, and balance of the soil.
- 3 controls – Threshold background, Sensitivity, and Soil Balance
- Removable control unit
- 2 working frequencies
- The ability to search in both fresh and salt water
- LED identification
- 2 search modes
- Water resistant
How to Choose the Right Beach Metal Detector
To search on the beach, any ground metal detector, even the most budget, is suitable, due to the fact that the depth of the finds in the sand is usually not large, although of course there are exceptions concerning beach metal detecting secrets that we’ll reveal below.
Coil size requirements. As we know, in order to more accurately identify the target, it is necessary to minimize the hit under the search coil for more than one target, and since our beaches hide a large amount of metal debris, it is necessary to approach the choice of the coil with understanding. So, the search reel on the beach should not be big! For an ellipse – no more than 6×10 inches, for a round one – no more than 8 inches, the ideal size is about 6 inches.
Requirements for the type of coil. Many people advise only mono coils, but we do not hold this opinion and think that the type can be used either Mono or DD.
Requirements for the frequency of the detector. As we discussed above, you can even search for the cheapest soil metal detector, but if you have the financial opportunity, it is better to choose a metal detector that can operate at high frequency, 13 kHz, 15 kHz and even higher.
- The first advantage is that the high frequency is sharpened for a better definition of small targets, such as earrings, chains, small rings, etc.
- The second advantage is that it clings well to objects with an average electrical conductivity, which is gold.
- The third advantage is the improved separation of metals.
- The fourth advantage of a high-frequency coil is high protection from electrical interference, which in the conditions of the city can be enough.
Water Resistant, Waterproof, or Submersive?
Depending on the type of search, you may need various metal detectors, devices, and tools.
So the search options on the beach can be divided into:
- Search in the coastal zone without entering the water
- Search in shallow water (knee-deep in water)
- Search by the belt in water or deeper (without immersion). The dive option we refer to the underwater search.
Features of the beach search without entering the water
In this case, there is no need to search for professional metal detectors, because of no need for tightness of the device.
However, we must consider the search for salt sand (sea beach). In this kind of beach search, we explore the coastal zone, especially where the surf is. In this place, you can see recently washed sand, a kind of strip.
Why is this so important?
The fact is that water moves targets (coins, rings, earrings, etc.). And the surf zone is, as a rule, a part that has not yet been studied by anyone. That is why this part is primarily interesting to us.
Peculiarities of the search with entry into the water (knee-deep)
In this case, we go into the water. And when we find the goal, then we need to dig it somehow. Hands are busy (in one hand the device, in the other – a shovel)!
In this case, we recommend having a scuba dive (a scoop with holes through which the sand will leave). In this case, we can work them with one hand.
With the usual shovels, everything will be washed off.
In addition, there is a danger that we drop the detector in the water. Yes, and sometimes there is a need to connect the second hand to the excavation of the target, and it is necessary to put a metal detector (apparently in the water, because we are standing in water). Then we need a metal detector with a sealed enclosure!
Features search on the beach with entry into the water to the waist
In this case, we definitely need a scuba and metal detector with a sealed enclosure. It is better to have an underwater metal detector (albeit with a small depth of immersion).
In addition, this type of search is performed in a diving suit (so as not to freeze, and so that the legs are protected), with a mask (so that you can still see the area) and underwater headphones (since underwater metal detectors only give sound to headphones , and, besides, there is a chance to dunk simple headphones, at least by chance).
Beach Search Features. What is the process itself?
You walk on the belt with the device. Headphones receive a target signal. You put the metal detector aside (it does not sink, but floats next to you in a semi-submerged state. That’s how underwater metal detectors are designed). Dig out the target. Withdraw it. Then take the metal detector in your hand and continue the search.
Useful Accessories for Beach Metal Detecting
When searching on the beach, the scuba will be extremely useful, which will sift sand through its holes and leave the finds.
Depending on the type of search, the scuba handle can be very short, medium, or long.
Often they lean on a scuba foot to dig in a target and not to bend over.
In addition, pinpointer will be useful for quick removal of the target. And, moreover, without it, it will be difficult to work on a rocky bottom. Yes, sometimes you have to dig when the pond has a rocky bottom.
Such a place can hardly be called a beach. But people are swimming here too. Moreover, in such places, there are old and interesting finds.
Therefore, the equipment should be as follows:
- Metal detector with a sealed enclosure
In this place, you have to get the finds, stuck between the stones. Therefore, a shovel is likely to be useless (but sometimes it is still needed).
Do You Need Permission to Detect Metal on Beaches?
List of countries where search with a metal detector is allowed, or you need to get beach metal detecting permit.
Australia. Any digging is allowed. Search for native gold. Beach search is very popular. There are few historical finds in Australia, much less than in Europe and the USA.
Austria. Search with a metal detector for historical finds requires permission from the Ministry of Protection of Monuments.
Belarus. Until 2013, a search with a metal detector was prohibited only in the Historic sites protected by the state, in the places of the Second World War, and in a private territory (without the permission of the owner). Since 2013, Belarus has introduced several laws and regulations restricting the search for historical finds.
Belgium. Search for historical finds to individuals is prohibited. Beach search is allowed.
England. Search for historical finds requires permission (easy to get). Due to the fact that for the most part, the grounds are private, additional permission is required from the landowner.
Hiding the valuable findings threatens punishment. In England, there is quite an interesting system for determining the value of the finds. For example, a Roman lead plate does not fall under a valuable find, and at the same time.
England allows beach search. But not everywhere without permission. For example, to search with a metal detector on a municipal beach, you need to ask permission from the local administration. To search on the banks of the Thames within London, you must pay a fee of several tens of pounds.
Germany. Search with a metal detector is allowed, but requires a license.
Greece. Need a license to own a metal detector (Ministry of Culture). Beach search requires the permission of the town that owns the beach. The search for archaeological values is prohibited, a prison term of 10 to 20 years.
Italy. All that lies in the Italian land belongs to the state.
Canada. On the one hand, a country with a very poor history – to find something with an age of 200-300 years is unrealistic. On the other hand, in Canada, historical digging is formally prohibited. It all comes down to what the owner of the land gives permission to search with the metal detector. Either this is a search in parks (there is gold there too), or an ordinary beach search.
Portugal. Formally, search with a metal detector is prohibited. But the areas of Lagoa and Portimau there are digging clubs that get permission for digging. Plus, with special permission from the administration, beach searches are rarely allowed (local only).
Russia. Historical search is almost prohibited. Beach search allowed.
The USA. Search with a metal detector is allowed without restrictions. Owner permission is required for searching in private territories.
Ukraine. Search is prohibited on official historical monuments.
Switzerland. Formally, searching with a metal detector in Switzerland is not prohibited. But in each canton, semi-canton, and even counties there are different rules. Somewhere it is forbidden to dig only historical monuments.
Sweden. Search with a metal detector is prohibited — any, including private property and the beach.